Begin Main Content Area



  • If you are traveling overnight on commonwealth business, you are eligible to be reimbursed for meals, including tax and tips. You will only be reimbursed for actual expenses, and the maximum reimbursement amount must be within GSA overnight subsistence allowance for a 24 hour period.
  • Reimbursement for alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
  • Complete justification for meal expenses must be electronically attached to your SAP travel expense report, which should be submitted within 60 days of your trip.
  • Find out more about meal reimbursement policies.


  • Personal vehicle mileage will be reimbursed according to the applicable GSA mileage rate.
  • Always record mileage on a daily basis, regardless of vehicle type used.  Other expenses claimed may depend on distance traveled.
  • Find out more about traveling by car.


  • Employees must submit a travel expense report within 60 days of the travel date. Employees with an assigned SAP identification number should use Employee Self Service to submit their expense reports or have an agency-assigned Travel Arranger submit one for them using SAP. Employees without an SAP ID number should use the STD-191 Travel Expense Voucher
  • Supervisors must review and approve your travel expense report and complete justification before it is submitted to BCPO.


  • For travelers with an assigned SAP identification number, complete justification for expenses must be attached electronically in DocFinity and submitted in SAP along with the travel expense report. Justification includes matching receipts, approved expense verification methods, and when required, explanations in the corresponding comments section of the report.
  • Retain your original receipts for 1 year after your trip.
  • Get more detail about expense justification in the commonwealth's travel policy.



Frequently Asked Questions